Discord is a popular communication platform for online communities, and many users create their servers for gaming, socializing, or other purposes. One of the options available when setting up a server is the ability to make it private, which limits who can join and access the server’s content.[the_ad id=”9574″]
However, there may come a time when a server owner wants to open up their server to a wider audience. We will discuss how to unprivate a Discord server, including changing server settings, generating invite links, and best practices for managing a public server.
Whether you want to grow your community оr just make your server more accessible, this guide will provide the information you need to make it happen.
Checking Your Server Settings
The first step in unprivatizing a Discord server is to check its current settings to ensure it is set to private.
A. Accessing the server settings menu: To access the server settings menu, right-click on the server name in the server list and select “Server Settings” or click on the server name and select “Server Settings” in the dropdown menu.
B. Locating the privacy settings option: Once in the server settings menu, you should see a “Privacy” section. This section will have a toggle button labeled “Make this server private.”
C. Verifying that the server is currently set to private: Check the toggle button mentioned above. If thе toggle is blue, it means the server is currently set to private. If it’s white, then the server is public.
Double-check these settings before proceeding, as accidentally making a public server private can cause confusion for your members and make it difficult for new members to join.
By verifying the server’s current privacy settings, you can ensure that you are making the correct changes.
If you are the server owner and are the only one with access to server settings, you can verify the current privacy settings by looking at the server list on the Discord client. Private servers have a lock icon next to them, while public servers don’t.
Changing the Server Privacy Settings
Once you’ve confirmed that your server is set to private, the next step is to change the settings to make the server public.
- Go to the server settings as described above in outline II.
- Locate the “Privacy” section, аnd toggle the button labeled “Make this server private” to the off position so the toggle becomes white.
- Click the “Save” button to apply the changes.
B. Confirming the change was successful: After you’ve made the changes, the server should be set to public. You can confirm it by re-checking the toggle button and ensuring it is off.
C. Explanation of how this change affects the visibility of the server: Changing the privacy settings to the public makes the server visible to anyone on Discord and allows anyone to join the server by clicking on the invite link.
Once the server is public, it will be listed on the Discord public server list and can be found by searching for keywords related to your server.
Once the server is public, anyone cаn join the server. Therefore, it should have a set of rules and guidelines in place and active moderation to ensure that the server remains a safe and positive environment for all members.
Inviting Members to the Public Server
Now that the server is set to public, the next step is to invite members to the server. Here’s how:
A. Steps for generating an invite link for the server:
- Go to the server settings as described above in outline II.
- Look for the “Invite” section.
- Click on the “Create invite link” button.
- You’ll be presented with a few options, such as setting an expiration for the invite link, choosing how many users the link will have, etc.
- Once you are done with the options, you can hit “Create,” and an invite link will be generated.
B. How to share the invite link with potential members: You can share the invite link anywhere you want. The most common places are on social media platforms оr other forms of online communication, such as forums, email, or instant messaging.
C. Information about setting an expiration for the invite link: One of the options when generating the invite link is setting an expiration date. By doing so, you can limit the time that the link will be active.
This can be useful if you want to limit the number of users who join the server.
Also, you can set the number of uses for the invite link.
This is another way to control how many people join the server. After the limit is reached, the link will no longer work.
Invite links to give access to the server to anyone who has the link. Set expiration and use limits to avoid unwanted access.
Keep track of how many people have joined via the link, so you can have a rough idea of how many members you have on your server.[the_ad id=”9574″]
Best Practices for Managing a Public Server
A public server can be a great way to grow your community and connect with new people, but it also comes with challenges.
Here are some best practices for managing a public server:
A. Tips for making the server welcoming and inclusive for new members:
- Create a set of rules and guidelines that clearly outline what is and isn’t allowed оn the server.
- Provide a welcoming message for new members through a channel or a direct message.
- Have a designated channel or section of the server where new members can introduce themselves.
- Encourage existing members to be welcoming and friendly to new members.
B. Strategies for moderating a public server:
- Have a team of dedicated moderators who can keep an eye on the server and take action when necessary.
- Establish clear procedures for dealing with rule-breakers.
- Use tools such as warnings, kick, mute, and ban to enforce the rules.
- Have a clear appeal process for members who believe they were unfairly punished.
C. Recommended tools and settings for managing a public server:
- Use role and permissions settings to give different members different levels of access and control.
- Use bots or other moderation tools to automate certain tasks, such as spam prevention and reporting.
- Use server analytics to monitor your server’s growth and see which channels and activities are most popular.
- Enable two-factor authentication for server settings to prevent unauthorized access.
You cаn create a positive and inclusive community in your public services while maintaining a fair and well-moderated environment.
Managing a public server can be time-consuming, but by putting in the effort, you can create a thriving community for your users to enjoy.
Unprivatizing a Discord server is a simple process that can be done by following some easy steps.
First, check the server’s settings and make sure that it is set to private. Next, change the privacy settings to public by toggling the button in the server settings menu.
The next step is generating an invite link and sharing it with potential members.
Have good management practices, such as having a set of rules and a team of moderators and using proper tools and settings to maintain a safe and inclusive environment for the members.
You can open up your server to a wider audience and grow your community.