It’s impossible to imagine modern life without the constant presence of social media. While there is nо doubt that Facebook has improved people’s lives in many ways, it can even be a source of irritation and stress when dealing with rude or unwelcome comments or messages from other users.
Thankfully, social networking sites like Facebook have features like the “mute” button so that users may control how they engage with others. Look at the detailed instructions for muting Facebook users, pages, and groups. Learn what happens when you mute someone on Facebook and how it varies from other forms of social isolation, like unfriending and banning.
What Happens When You Mute Someone on Facebook?
When you mute someone on Facebook, several things happen:
- You will no longer receive notifications from the muted person’s activity on Facebook. This includes posts, comments, likes, and messages.
- The muted person’s posts will nо longer appear in your News Feed.
- You can still visit the muted person’s profile and see their posts, but you won’t receive notifications or see their activity in your News Feed.
- The muted person will not bе notified that you have muted them, and they can still interact with your posts and profile as usual.
- Muting someone is temporary and does not permanently remove the person from your friends list or block them. You can unmute them anytime. They will remain on your friends list.
How to Mute Someone on Facebook
Here’s how to mute someone on Facebook:
- Log in to your Facebook account and navigate to the profile of the person you want to mute.
- On their profile, click the three dots (…) button at the top right corner of their cover photo.
- In the dropdown menu that appears, click “Mute.”
- You will be prompted tо choose what you want to mute from the person: Posts, Stories, or both.
- Select the option(s) you want to mute and click “Done.”
Additional Information About Muting on Facebook
Details when muting someone on Facebook:
- Muting someone is different from unfriending or blocking them. When you mute someone, they will still be on your friends list and won’t be notified that you’ve muted them.
- Muting someone only affects your experience on Facebook. The muted person can still see and interact with your posts and profile, and they won’t be prevented from sending you messages.
- You can mute multiple people using Facebook’s “News Feed Preferences” feature. Go to the dropdown menu at the top right corner of your News Feed, click “News Feed Preferences,” and then click “Unfollow people to hide their posts.”
- Muting someone on Facebook also applies to other Facebook-owned platforms, such аs Instagram, since the platforms share some features and settings.
- If you’re having trouble finding the person you want to mute, you can search the Facebook search bar for their name or go to your friends list and find them there.
How to Mute Pages or Groups on Facebook
Here’s how to mute a page оr group on Facebook:
- Log in to your Facebook account and navigate to the page or group you want to mute.
- Click the three dots (…) button below the cover photo on the page or group.
- Click “Mute [page/group]” updates in the dropdown menu that appears.
- Choose how long to mute the page оr group: 30 days until you turn it back on or permanently.
- Select the time you want to mute and click “Mute.”
Facebook’s mute feature is helpful for maintaining control over your social network presence and warding off unwanted communication. Muting someone, or an entire page or group, is an indefinitely reversible temporary measure.