Have you ever tried to post a picture on Instagram only to find out that it’s too large and won’t fit within the size limits? It can be frustrating to crop or resize your photo, especially if you want to show the whole picture.
This blog post will show you how to fit an entire picture on Instagram by resizing it and exploring alternative options. We’ll also discuss Instagram’s size restrictions and provide tips for ensuring the quality of your resized photo or video. By the end of this post, you’ll have all the tools you need to confidently post large photos and videos on Instagram.
Understanding Instagram’s size restrictions
Understanding Instagram’s size restrictions are important in figuring out how to fit a whole picture on the platform. Instagram has specific limits for photos and videos’ dimensions and file size.
For photos, the maximum dimensions are 1080 pixels wide by 1350 pixels tall. The file size limit is 30 MB. For videos, the maximum length is 60 seconds, and the file size limit is 4 GB.
There are a few different ways to determine the size of a photo or video. One option is to use a photo editing app, such as Adobe Photoshop or GIMP, to check the dimensions and file size. You can also check the file size on a computer by right-clicking on the photo or video and selecting “Properties.”
It’s important to keep in mind these size restrictions when attempting to post a large photo or video on Instagram. By understanding the limits, you’ll be better equipped to find a solution for fitting your content onto the platform.
Resizing the photo or video
If you want to fit a whole picture on Instagram, one option is to resize it to meet the size restrictions. There are several ways to do this, and the method you choose will depend on the available tools and your personal preferences. Here are step-by-step instructions for resizing a photo or video using a few different methods:
Method 1: Using a photo editing app
- Open the photo or video in an editing app such as Adobe Photoshop or GIMP.
- Navigate to the “Image” or “File” menu and select “Resize.”
- In the “Resize” dialogue box, enter the maximum dimensions allowed by Instagram (1080 pixels wide by 1350 pixels tall for photos). Make sure to keep the “Constrain Proportions” option checked so that the photo’s aspect ratio is maintained.
- Click “OK” to apply the changes.
- Save the resized photo or video to your computer.
Method 2: Using an online resizing tool
- Go to an online resizing tool such as Canva or Resize Your Image.
- Upload the photo or video that you want to resize.
- Select the option to resize based on specific dimensions or percentages.
- Enter the maximum dimensions allowed by Instagram (1080 pixels wide by 1350 pixels tall for photos).
- Click “Resize” to apply the changes.
- Download the resized photo or video to your computer.
Tips for ensuring the quality of the resized photo or video:
- Be careful not to resize the photo or video too much, as this can result in a loss of quality.
- If you’re using a photo editing app, save the resized photo or video in a high-quality format such as JPEG or PNG.
- If you’re using an online resizing tool, try to find one with a reputation for maintaining the quality of the resized content.
By following these steps, you should be able to successfully resize your photo or video to fit within Instagram’s size limits.
Alternative options for posting a large photo or video
If you cannot resize your photo or video to fit within Instagram’s size restrictions, there are a few alternative options you can try. These options may not allow you to show the entire picture, but they can still help you share your content on Instagram.
Option 1: Use a photo collage app
A photo collage app allows you to combine multiple photos into a single image. This can be a good option if you have a large photo that you want to show in its entirety but can’t fit on Instagram as a single image.
To use a photo collage app:
- Download a photo collage app such as Layout or Canva.
- Open the app and select the option to create a new collage.
- Choose the layout that you want to use for your collage. Some layouts allow you to fit a single large photo into the collage, while others allow you to combine several smaller photos into a single image.
- Upload the large photo that you want to show on Instagram.
- Use the app’s editing tools to adjust the size and position of the photo within the collage.
- Save the collage and then upload it to Instagram like any other photo.
Option 2: Post a screenshot of the photo
If you have a large photo that you want to show on Instagram but can’t fit it within the size restrictions, you can try posting a screenshot of the photo instead. This will allow you to show the entire picture, but the quality may not be as good as the original.
To post a screenshot of a photo:
- Take a screenshot of the photo using your phone or computer.
- Open the screenshot in a photo editing app and crop it as needed to fit within Instagram’s size limits.
- Save the edited screenshot and upload it to Instagram like any other photo.
Pros and cons of these alternative options:
- Using a photo collage app allows you to show a large photo in its entirety, but it may not look as polished as a single image.
- Posting a screenshot of a photo allows you to show the entire picture, but the quality may not be as good as the original.
By considering these alternative options, you should be able to find a way to share your large photos or videos on Instagram, even if you can’t fit them within the size restrictions.
Fitting a whole picture on Instagram can be challenging due to the platform’s size restrictions for photos and videos. However, you can successfully resize your content to fit within limits by understanding these restrictions and using tools such as photo editing apps and online resizing tools.
Suppose you cannot resize your photo or video. In that case, alternative options such as using a photo collage app or posting a screenshot of the photo can also be effective ways to share large content on Instagram. Following the steps and tips outlined in this blog post, you’ll have all the tools to confidently post large photos and videos on Instagram.