Instagram Reels have quickly risen to prominence as a fun and original way for users to share clips with their followers. Adding text to your Reels is a great way to express yourself, motivate your audience, or spice up your videos.
Learn how to add text to your Instagram Reels, even if you’re a seasoned Reels builder or just getting started. We’ll begin with account creation and then investigate the app’s native text editing tools and several alternatives.
Setting up Your Instagram Account
Before you add text to your Reels, ensure that your Instagram account is set up and ready to go. This involves checking that your account is up to date and that your device has installed the latest version of the app.
A. Make sure your account is up to date
To ensure that your Instagram account is up to date, check your profile page and ensure that all your information is correct and up to date. This includes your profile picture, bio, and any other information you want to share with your followers. This is also a good time to check that your privacy settings are set the way you want them and to adjust them if necessary.
B. Ensure you have the latest version of the app
Having the latest app version will ensure you have access to all of the latest features, including the Reels feature and the text tool. Go to the app store on your device and look for any updates that may be available for Instagram.
Adding Text to Instagram Reels
Adding text to your Reels is a great way to make your videos more engaging and to communicate a message or call-to-action to your followers. There are two main ways to add text to Reels: using the built-in text feature in the app and using third-party apps.
A. Using the built-in text feature in the app
The Instagram app includes a built-in text tool that makes adding text to your Reels easy. Here’s how to use it:
- Accessing the text tool: To access the text tool, simply start recording a Reel and tap the “Aa” icon in the screen’s bottom left corner.
- Selecting a font and color: If you’ve accessed the text tool, you can select a font and color for your text. There are several font options to choose from, so you can find the one that works best for your Reel.
- Positioning the text on the Reel: After you’ve selected your font and color, you can position the text anywhere on the Reel by dragging it to the desired location.
- Customizing the text with background and effects: You can also customize your text by adding a background and effects. Tap the “Aa” icon and select the “Styles” option. Here, you’ll find several options for background colors and effects that you can use to make your text stand out.
B. Using third-party apps to add text
In addition to the built-in text tool in the app, there are also several third-party apps that you can use to add text to your Reels.
Here are some of our recommendations:
- Recommendations for third-party apps: Some popular apps for adding text to Reels include Canva, Inshot, and Unfold. Each of these apps has its unique features, so it’s a good idea to try a few of them out to see which one works best for you.
- Steps for adding text using third-party apps: The steps for adding text using third-party apps will vary depending on which app you choose, but generally, you’ll start by selecting a background for your text, then adding the text itself and customizing it using the app’s tools. Once you’re happy with how your text looks, you can import the image into the Instagram app and record your Reel as normal.
Best Practices for Adding Text to Reels
Here are some best practices when adding text to your Reels:
A. Keep the text simple and easy to read
- Choose a clear font that is easy to read. Avoid using overly decorative or script fonts that can be difficult to read.
- Use a font size that is big enough to be easily read on the screen but not so large that it takes up too much space.
- Keep the text short and to the point. Avoid using long blocks of text that can be overwhelming for viewers.
B. Use contrasting colors for text and background
- Choose colors for the text and background that contrast, making the text easy to read.
- Consider using a solid color background for the text to help it stand out and be easily seen.
C. Position the text in a way that complements the video
- Position the text in a way that complements the video and enhances the overall message you’re trying to convey.
- Avoid placing the text in a way that covers up crucial parts of the video or makes it difficult for viewers to see the content.
D. Experiment with different styles and effects
- Experiment with different styles and effects for the text to find what works best for your Reels.
- Try using different background colors and effects to make the text stand out and be more visually appealing.
Adding text to your Instagram Reels can greatly enhance the overall impact of your videos and help you communicate your message more effectively to your followers. By using the built-in text feature in the app or a third-party app, you can add text to your Reels in a way that is visually appealing and easy to read.
By learning the practices such as using contrasting colors, positioning the text in a way that complements the video, and experimenting with different styles and effects, you can create Reels that are engaging and effective in communicating your message.